22 June 2016
Arofan House Student Accommodation, Cardiff
- Region: Cardiff
- Client: Three Sixty Development Limited/GSA
- Value: £11,700,000
- Contract terms: JCT DBC 2011
- Contract length: 65 weeks
- Procurement: Design & build
- Completed: Live
- Site features and challenges: party wall agreement required with adjoining building; narrow cobbled streets next to site; commercial premises, residential units and public (pedestrians) surrounding site.
- Community: hybrid power generator introduced providing silent power overnight minimising disruption to neighbours. Midas staff donated their time and skills to transform a run-down community courtyard into an engaging new play area for local youngsters to enjoy at the neighbouring YMCA, Cardiff.
This student accommodation project comprises a U-shape 4-storey light gauge steel frame building on a brownfield site in the centre of Cardiff. The accommodation includes 117 studios and 164 en-suite beds in clusters of 6 with cluster kitchens, plus a gym. Midas will complete the project to offer fully fitted student accommodation with all fixtures and fittings, minor landscaping to the courtyard, storm water attenuation and drainage connection to the main road.
The restraints of the site location are being carefully managed to allow continuous access to occupants of neighbouring premises.