22 June 2016
Lawrence House Refurbishment and Conversion to Apartments, Bristol
- Region: Bristol
- Client: Crosslane Fund Management / Victus (Guernsey) 6 Developments Limited
- Value: £6,600,000
- Contract terms: JCT DBC 2011
- Contract length: 58 weeks
- Procurement: Design & Build
- Completed: Sept 2015
- Site features and challenges: City centre location, narrow access road, limited on-site storage, neighbouring occupied commercial and residential premises, adjacent Grade II listed wall.
- Community: Two local general labourers recruited and trained as fulltime banksmen/logistics co-ordinators.
The refurbishment of this 12-storey 1960s concrete-framed office block, and its conversion to a block of residential/hotel-quality studio apartments took place in a built up city centre location presenting complex logistics challenges. The building features 16 unique room designs for 166 units, an entrance area and basement incorporating a gym.
A show apartment was completed early to demonstrate and agree finishes. A strict logistics programme, hoist booking schedule, line of balance programming coupled and just-in-time deliveries enabled successful delivery to programme despite site restraints. Additionally, the site accommodated a daily average of 70 workers on site.