22 June 2016
Somerset Energy Innovation Centre Offices, Bridgwater
- Region: Somerset
- Client: Somerset County Council
- Value: £6,200,000
- Contract terms: JCT DBC 2011
- Contract length: 42 weeks
- Procurement: Design & Build
- Completed: May 2016
- Site features and challenges: High flood risk area, great crested newt protection, proximity of another significant development on the business park
- BREEAM: Excellent
- Awards: Gold CCS National Site Award 2016
- Community: Enhanced Bridgwater College construction students’ experience of live construction projects, including site visits and direct work experience for students and trainee bricklayers. Organised for Eastover Primary School students to work with Bridgwater College art students to paint a newt mural on site hoardings.
Midas delivered the phased construction of a 3-storey low energy office building to BREEAM Excellent standards with 2,400m2 of flexible, open plan office space, meeting rooms and a café. The project involved construction of a new steel frame building finished with brickwork, glazing and aluminium panelling and fitted out internally to Cat B specifications, and external works.
The subsequent phase of work extended the new building. Midas recommended an improved glazed design and wrapped the building's foundations in bentonite (natural clay) to mitigate flood risk. The monitoring and protection of great crested newts continued throughout the project.
The Innovation Centre supports the start-up and growth of businesses in Somerset and the South West, enabling local enterprises to access opportunities in nuclear and low carbon energy sectors. The project was supported by over £3 million from the European Regional Development Fund Programme.