22 June 2016
Twerton Mill Student Accommodation, Bath
- Region: Bath
- Client: McLaren (Twerton Mill) Limited
- Value: £17,000,000
- Contract terms: JCT DBC 2011
- Contract length: 68 weeks
- Procurement: Design & Build
- Completed: September 2015
- Site features and challenges: Constrained brownfield site, with new building footprint close to site boundary, above the Bath aquifer and adjacent to the River Avon and an arterial road, opposite to which is a raised network rail line.
- Awards: Regeneration Winner (RICS Awards 2016)
- Community: Midas rented space from a charity in a neighbouring warehouse building, refurbishing it to create a site office. On completion of the project Midas donated the office to the charity.
This project comprised the construction of 327 luxury student accommodation units across six buildings. The features and constraints of the site presented challenges requiring extensive remediation works, Network Rail negotiations and innovative foundation design. Located in a busy area, CCS inspections praised Midas' efforts to keep disturbances to a minimum and manage community relationships.
The high quality light gauge steel frame buildings incorporate white lyas cladding, sympathetic to Bath's distinctive vernacular style, and engineering red brick to reflect the site's industrial history. The project was completed in time for the new student intake.
Midas were delighted to receive the prestigious Regeneration Winner (RICS Awards 2016)