26 February 2015
- Region: Devon
- Value: £2,700,000
- Contract terms: JCT Design and Build 2011
- Contract length: 53 weeks
- Procurement: Design + Build
- Completed: Completed July 2014
- Site features and challenges: It required the conversion of existing one bed flats into houses / demolition / the construction of new build apartments and reconfigure and refurbishment of existing units. 12 new build and 16 remodelled homes were created. Built on steep ground it required retaining wall structures and a complex drainage solution.
- Community Benefits: Mi-space ran a community engagement day where the local community was invited onto site to have a look. A work experience initiative was also held. Approximately 75% of the local supply chain came from Plymouth / Devon and 3 apprentices were involved in the project.
The 28 unit project for Affinity Sutton involved new build apartments and remodelling of existing flats into houses in St Budeaux Plymouth. This scheme perfectly showcases Mi-space’s specialist skill set as it blends construction and refurbishment in a residential led regeneration project.
The project was built right next door to existing homes on steep ground and required minimum disruption to local residents. The project was 100% affordable and helped alleviate Plymouth City Councils housing waiting list of approx 10,000. Designed by Mitchell Architects it is a great example of a local Housing Association, Architect and Contractor supporting the local community.