21 February 2015
Bideford Extra Care Facility
- Region: Devon
- Value: £7,000,000
- Contract terms: JCT Design and Build 2011
- Contract length: 64 weeks
- Procurement: Design + Build
- Completed: LIVE PROJECT
- BREEAM: Very good (targeted)
- Site features and challenges: The remote location of the scheme and complex nature of the build required the Mi-space pre-construction team to be imaginative. An intelligent ground works strategy was adopted to minimise retaining walls, masonry was taken off the critical path, bathroom pods were used and a directly employed work force used to mitigate the risk of labour shortages.
- Community Benefits: The community project carried out on this project is the largest ever carried out by Midas Group. A community garden at West Croft Primary School (value £30K) has been built with the use of the supply chain and Mi-space. In addition 20+ apprentices have worked on the scheme, the local Fire Brigade have practised on the site crane and numerous work experience placements made.
This is the latest iteration of Sanctuary’s Extra Care model delivered in Bideford North Devon. A three storey 59 unit project it blends cutting edge extra care specific interior design with exceptional quality of finish for it specialist end user group. Sanctuary Housing Association are the UK’s largest provider of Extra Care services and ‘College Park’ incorporates all of the lessons learned from its existing portfolio.
Located in the centre of a large housing scheme it has required Mi-space to collaborate with neighbouring contractors and adopt modern methods of construction to mitigate labour shortages. The site team worked pro-actively alongside the Sanctuary team from day one.