19 September 2019
Harwoods Land Rover
Customer: Harwoods Limited
Value: £2 million
Duration: 41 weeks
Completion Date: August 2018
Contract Type: JCT Standard Building Contract 2016
Procurement Type: Competitive tender - single stage
- Average CCS score 37.5
Working to Jaguar’s elite international brand standard, Midas completed the partial demolition, refurbishment and extension of a Harwoods Jaguar Land Rover dealership near Edenbridge.
The project involved creation of an internal mezzanine structure with fit out, extension to the workshop and formation of hardstanding areas for sales and customer vehicles.
The dealership’s showroom and workshop remained open and trading throughout the project, with works phased to maintain this. Midas liaised with the customer and stakeholders to deliver a coordinated programme that delivered on quality whilst maintaining uninterrupted business for the dealership.
The customer scored the team 84% in the customer satisfaction survey at practical completion, and Midas subsequently won additional work with the same customer.
- The dealership remained live throughout the works.
- The customer required a high quality finish that met international Jaguar brand standards.
- Liaising with and managing numerous customer-appointed subcontractors.
- Midas completing the project in two phases, to maintain live running of the showroom and workshop. To safely separate the public and Hardwoods staff from the site, Midas erected full height solid hoarding to the perimeter and utilised pedestrian barriers, with drop down barriers installed to the roadway. At the customer’s request the team changed the hoarding to open mesh fencing during the project, to enable customers to see the progression of works. During works, the team sealed connecting doors to prevent dealership staff accessing the construction zones. Midas held weekly meetings with Harwoods management to review progress and discuss upcoming logistics and deliveries.
- The Midas team liaised with stakeholders including the Harwoods team, representatives from Jaguar Land Rover and the members of the design team to supervise the works and deliver to a programme that complied with brand standards whilst maintaining uninterrupted business for the dealership. Following successful completion of these works, Midas secured two additional projects with the same customer, in Brighton and Bristol.
The project involved numerous subcontractors appointed by the customer, including specialist workshop equipment suppliers, bespoke furniture suppliers and the Jaguar branding team. Midas managed the sequencing of the works and ensured all subcontractors on site complied with health and safety requirements, working closely with the design team and timing works packages to ensure safe access and a coordinated approach.
The team provided goodwill gestures to two immediate neighbours, including hedge cutting for an elderly resident, and provided advance notice of any potentially disruptive works.