22 June 2016
Student Accommodation and Cricket Pavilion, Exeter
- Region: Exeter
- Client: Yelverton Properties Ltd
- Value: £8,800,000
- Contract terms: JCT D&B 2011 Edition with Amendments
- Contract length: 70 weeks
- Procurement: Design & build
- Completed: Live
- Site features and challenges: Busy arterial road, high volume of pedestrian traffic (students) near site, maintaining access to cricket pavilion and squash club
- BREEAM: Very Good
On this site, opposite to Exeter University facilities, Midas constructed a Metsec light gauge steel framed building offering 159 - bed student accommodation in 4 blocks, via 42 studios, 115 units in 4, 5 and 6 bed clusters with kitchen, and 2 disabled units. Part of the scheme included the demolition and re-construction of a 2-storey cricket pavilion on land adjacent to a cricket pitch. Member access to the temporary cricket pavilion, subsequent completed facility, and squash club (separate building) was ensured throughout construction.
The scheme was designed with sustainability in mind. A PV array of 25KW was delivered to provide efficiently for the development.